Health Insurance New Zealand

The healthcare system in New Zealand has undergone significant changes throughout the past several decades. From an essentially fully public system in the early 20th century, reforms have introduced market and health insurance elements primarily in the last three decades, creating a mixed public-private system for delivering healthcare.

The Accident Compensation Corporation (ACC) covers the costs of treatment for cases deemed 'accidents', including medical misadventure, for all people legally in New Zealand, with the costs recovered via levies on employers, employees and some other sources such as car registration.

The relatively extensive and high-quality system of public hospitals treats citizens or permanent residents free of charge, however costly, difficult or elective surgery often requires long waiting list delays unless the treatment is medically urgent. Because of this health insurance providers in New Zealand fund operations and treatments for their members privately.

Health insurance enables you to avoid the waiting times often associated with the public system meaning you can avoid a reduced quality of life and deteriorating health while waiting for treatment. What’s more it means you can get back to earning an income as soon as possible, allowing you to continue to support your family and pay your bills.

If you or a member of your family became ill, perhaps seriously, wouldn’t you want access to expert care, when and where it suits you? Only private health insurance in NZ can give you that assurance.

Need Insurance?

Individuals and families

SHARE advisers offer specialist advice in life and trauma insurance, income protection, health insurance, and business and ACC insurance.

Like to Invest?

What's your investment concern?

Talk to a SHARE adviser about planning for your retirement, your current investment options, or helping to get the best out of your KiwiSaver account.

Buying a House?

What type of mortgage?

What are my mortgage requirements, how do they work? And how do I safeguard my home with mortgage protection insurance?