Our commitment to your privacy
Your privacy is important to us. We respect your right to privacy and your right to view and update the personal information which we hold about you. We are committed to protecting your privacy when you visit our website, use our services or deal with us in any other way.
Collecting information from you
SHARE provides financial advice in relation to insurance, investments and mortgages. In order to offer you financial advice we collect personal information from you, including information about your:
- Contact information (such as address, telephone number and email)
- Date of birth
- Computer or network (if online)
- Financial and health details
- Interactions with us
We gather information in a number of ways but most of this personal information is collected directly from you. In some circumstances we may be legally required to collect personal information for example to verify your identity and in other instances providing some information is optional. We may be unable to assist you if you choose not to provide the personal information requested.
We collect your personal information in order for us to take action requested by you (such as providing Financial Advice) or in order to provide information (such as policy information) or to assist a financial adviser to contact you.
Security and Disposal of your personal information
We are committed to protecting your personal information. We store personal information electronically and physically in New Zealand. We store electronic information in New Zealand and Australia in our client relationship management system which is provided by a third party and some of which is cloud based.
In order to protect the personal information that we gather from you, we have put in place physical, electronic, and managerial procedures to assist in safeguarding and securing the information we collect.
SHARE is required to retain personal information in relation to clients by several New Zealand laws for example the Financial Markets Conduct Act 2013. We usually hold personal information for at least 7 years although we may keep certain information for longer even if you’re no longer a client.
Disclosing your personal information
SHARE may also disclose information to
- the Financial Markets Authority and any other applicable regulatory or government agencies or independent compliance personnel as part of our obligations to meet regulatory and industry standards;
- any person or organisation assisting us to investigate any concerns or complaints or manage any legal action; and
- any other person or organisation as allowed by applicable law, including the Privacy Act 2020.
Newsletters and other notices
It is our policy to send communications to all SHARE clients to keep you updated with information that we believe is relevant to you. In addition, we may send promotional material to you regarding new or amended material where we think it may be relevant to you.
You can choose not to receive information about our services. Click unsubscribe at the bottom of the email or you can call us on 0508 274 273, email firstname.lastname@example.org or tell your SHARE adviser if you don’t want information about other services we offer.
Accessing and Correcting your personal information
The Privacy Act 2020 gives you certain rights to access and correct your personal information. SHARE will try to ensure that the personal information collected about you is up to date. Please help us by telling us as soon as possible if your information, such as your contact details, changes.
SHARE clients can do this by contacting their SHARE adviser, call us on 0508 274 273 or email email@example.com.
Breach of Privacy
If we believe that there has been a privacy breach, we will identify the issue and take steps to minimise harm to you.
If we believe the breach has caused, or is likely to cause serious harm, we will contact the Office of the Privacy Commissioner. We will also contact clients who may be affected by the breach.
Questions or concerns
If you are not satisfied with our response to any privacy related matter you may have, you can contact the Privacy Commissioner at
Office of the Privacy Commissioner
PO Box 10-094
Wellington, New Zealand
Phone: 04 474 7590
For more information on privacy see the Privacy Commissioner website.
SHARE collects various information about users of our website. We collect and use this additional information to carry out internal research on our users’ demographics, interests, and behaviour to better understand our clients’ needs and to improve our website.
This information may include:
- what browser you are using, your IP address, the URL that you just came from and which URL you next go to (whether these URLs are on our site or not);
- information collected by us through click-tracking in relation to your use of the website, including the content you upload and the content you access;
- aggregated data, which tracks traffic to the website; and cookies, which are pieces of information transferred to your computer hard drive for record keeping (such as your preferences on our website). You can usually modify your browser setting to decline cookies if you prefer, however, if you do this it may prevent you from taking full advantage of our website.
- third party cookies and other technologies. We use third party cookies such as Google Analytics cookies and other technologies for marketing purposes and to gather website analytics. You can opt out of Google Analytics without affecting how you visit our site. For more information on opting out of being tracked by Google Analytics please visit this page.
Links to other websites
Our website may contain links to enable you to easily visit other websites of interest. Clicking these links may mean that you give information to us or to third parties through cookies or in other ways. SHARE is not responsible for content on other websites. Please review the privacy policies and privacy practices of third-party sites before you use the sites or disclose any personal information. We do not endorse any third-party websites, or their content, and we have no control over the conduct of the companies or organisations operating those sites.